Friday, November 30, 2012

Blah blah blah blah BLURB


I love virtually all of the tasks that come with the cap of self published indie author. Even the difficult ones. Let’s take for example my latest cover. I can honestly say in total there are at least sixty hours of work in it. Now that's a full time job, plus overtime. It was a nightmare, and I ended my relationship with it at least twice. I then came grovelling back, begging forgiveness for my flakiness, promising to do better next time. But there is one job that no matter how much I know it is there, lurking in the background, I just cannot bring myself to do it until the very, last, moment. The Blurb.

I just don't understand how I am supposed to wrap up four or five months work, a first draft, a reworking, five or six edits, and a whole bunch of other little jobs that I have long since forgotten into two hundred words. I can’t even talk about the blurb in less than that.  But yet, it has to be one of the most important elements of the book. It's the gate keeper, the words that stand between you, my reader, and the other ninety thousands words that I hope that you will love. You can read the blurb on the back of the book, or the description on the screen and very quickly say, 'no thanks, not for me.' How do I know this? Because I do it at least once a day, to other people's work.

So it is not without trepidation that I present to you the blurb for Escaping Life. You've seen the cover (loved doing that), you've watched the trailer (loved doing that one too) and now here is the final bit before I hand over the finished product to you.  The blurb (you already know how I feel. Just don't ask.)


It’s beautiful here.  It’s a beautiful place to die.
Since the accident claimed her sister’s life, Haven has been a sanctuary for Elizabeth Green.  She has finally found some of the tranquility that she thought had been lost long ago to the past.   Homicide cop Jack Fraser is running away from his miserable life too.  But when the discovery of a body on a local beach leads him directly to Elizabeth’s front door, it seems her past might not have been left behind her after all. Together they must face their demons, and in the process expose the dangerous secrets that cloud their lives before it’s too late.
Running from reality is sometimes more painful than discovering the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment