Wednesday, September 4, 2013

To be, or not to be...........

It has been a little while since my last post.  I have been rather busy of late welcoming relatives from all over the world to witness me get married.  It has been a great few weeks, but now reality is back with a big boot in the backside with a whole list of things that need doing!  And they need doing yesterday!

But taking a step back to the wedding, there is the little matter of changing a surname.  I have spent the last two years sending my surname out around the world, telling everybody that Michelle Muckley is a writer, to follow me, to like me, to read my work.  I was born with this name, and it seems to have served me fairly well up until now (even if it was the source of much school playground hilarity!)

The majority of the world is used to having a surname.  It is a mark of history.  It tells people where we come from.  Who we came from, and our background and heritage.  It might give clues as to an occupation or appearance.  So if I changed it?   My new surname would suggest I am Greek, and perhaps a gift from God.  Nice idea, but I don't think anybody is going to buy that.  Especially when I start to speak in Greek.  And even my dad asked me to write it down for him.  If my own dad can't remember it, how the heck would anybody else remember it. 

So I am now two people.  One name for writing and one name for the rest of my life.  I get to keep one foot in the past, and at the same time take one very big step into the future.  So now it would seem, I have a stage name.  Very exciting.







No comments:

Post a Comment